Jul 30, 2014
Choosing the right contractor to remodel or repair your home can be one of the most important and stressful choices you make as a homeowner. While the majority of contractors will have your best interest in mind, getting stuck with a bad contractor can leave you hundreds or thousands of dollars in debt, with house issues that still need to be taken care of. Follow these tips to ensure you choose the right contractor.
- Consider hiring local, licensed contractors. Contractors who are local will have a reputation in the community that they will want to stick to, especially if it is a good one. They will also be easier to get a hold of throughout the process.
- Make sure the contractor is properly insured. Any contractor that has the proper insurance will not hesitate telling you about their policy. If you choose a contractor that is not insured, you may end up being liable for any injuries that happen during the job.
- Sign a contract. Make sure the entire contract is clear and well written and explains the entire process of the contractor.
- Do not pay for the entire project before it is finished. It is standard to pay around 1/3 of the entire price of the estimated costs before construction starts. Make sure to pay with a check to have a receipt of what was paid.
- Be realistic. Keep in mind that delays will happen. Make sure to make room in your plans to adjust for different circumstances, such as weather issues.
It is also important to make sure that your home is properly insured before starting any work. Contact
Gateway Insurance in Vacaville, California for all of your homeowners insurance needs.