Oct 17, 2014
Fall is perfect to spend extra time in your home with loved ones watching a movie, or reading on the couch. Before the weather gets too cold, it is important to make sure your home is prepared for the cold, fall and winter weather. Keep these simple home maintenance tips in mind to ensure that your home is ready for the dropping temperatures.
- Clean all of your gardening tools and coat them with oil, then store them in a cool, dry place to ensure that they are ready for spring and summer. This is also a good time to look through your storage area and throw away any old chemicals and gardening products that are taking up space.
- Hire a professional to check your furnace and perform any regular maintenance. Also, make sure to change out the filters to ensure you will stay cozy all season long.
- If you have a wood-burning fireplace, clean out the chimney. Built up soot from past fires can easily start a house fire or push dangerous carbon monoxide into your home.
- Clean out your rain gutters and downspouts. Clogged rain gutters can easily cause rain water to back up and damage your roof and walls. Also, make sure that the downspout is facing away from your home to prevent water damage to the foundation.
- While cleaning out the rain gutters, check your roof. If you see any missing or damaged shingles, make sure to replace them as soon as possible to ensure the wet season does not destroy your roof.
The new season is also the best time to look over your homeowners’ insurance policy and know you have the right amount of coverage. Contact
the insurance experts at Gateway Professional Insurance Services in Vacaville, California for all of your homeowners insurance needs.