Mar 6, 2015
Southwestern Shepard's Pie Recipe
St. Patrick’s Day is just a few days away, which means that it is time to start preparing for your holiday party. To impress all of your friends and family, keep this delicious southwestern shepherd’s pie recipe in mind. Ingredients:
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cans enchilada sauce, 10 ounces each
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 ½ cups water
- 2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups mashed potato flakes
- 2 cans chopped green chilies, undrained, 4 ounces each
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend, divided
- 2 cans Mexicorn, 11 ounces each, drained
- 2/3 cup chopped green onions
- In a Dutch oven, cook the onion and beef over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink, and drain. Add the enchilada sauce, flour, cumin, chipotle peppers, and oregano, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, combine the milk, water, butter, and salt, and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and stir in the potato flakes until combined. Add chilies and ½ cup of cheese.
- Transfer the meat mixture into two greased 11 x 7 in. baking dishes. Layer with corn, mashed potato mixture, and remaining cheese. Sprinkle with green onions and cover. You can even freeze one casserole for later indulgence for up to three months.
- Cover and bake the remaining casserole at 375 degrees for 20 minutes, uncover and bake 5-10 minutes longer, or until bubbly. Sprinkle with paprika.
For all of your insurance coverage needs to ensure that you stay safe this St. Patrick’s Day, contact
Gateway Professional Insurance Services in Vacaville, California.